I'm Shamu

I'm Shamu, the Big Cat of West Volusia. I'll give you the skinny on what's really going on. When I speak, everyone listens. Stop by, add your news and opinions.

My person, Patti, will sometimes share her thoughts. I have to put up with that in exchange for her typing services.

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Hiring consultants for beach driving is crazy

I've been itching to post this all week. Getting my typist to work for me was difficult, however.

Here's the thing on the County Council's decision to hire a consultant ($50K, no less) to look into beach driving: It's a stupid waste of money. It does, however, get the County Council off the hook for making a decision now, during election season.

The consultants aren't going to tell the council members a durn thing they don't already know.

Here's what they can do on beach driving (and I'll tell 'em for free):

1. Continue as usual.

2. Prohibit all driving on the beach.

3. Designate more drive-free zones on the beach through Daytona Beach

4. Get more off-beach parking to assist with items 2 and 3.

There!

I never go to the beach, with my aversion to getting wet. My person had a squirt gun out the other night, and the thought of it wetting us drove Jack and I under the bed. Uggghhhhh.

But prohibiting beach driving does no more than turn our beaches into private preserves for the hotel owners, while access for locals would be just about nil.

More good areas where families can park close by and hit the beach is the ticket.

If the County Council would like to pay me for this advice, I'll be happy to take it. Let me know, and I'll set up PayPal.

Booyah!

1 comment: