I'm Shamu

I'm Shamu, the Big Cat of West Volusia. I'll give you the skinny on what's really going on. When I speak, everyone listens. Stop by, add your news and opinions.

My person, Patti, will sometimes share her thoughts. I have to put up with that in exchange for her typing services.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Here's to the women, 90 years later

I'm just a cat, so I don't get to vote. I noted with interest though, that it's the 90th anniversary of the 19th amendment, the one that gave women the right to vote. Ratification was complete on Aug. 18, 1920.
In the November 1920 election, women voted for the first time. Warren G. Harding was running against James M. Cox.
The amendment ensures "The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any state on account of sex."
It's kinda hard for the young kittens coming along to appreciate what their foremothers went through. In the course of human history, it wasn't that long ago that women had no rights — not to vote, not even to own their property.
A piece of paper stating women had the right to vote did not mean women were treated equally, of course. That was the first step on a long road that is now being realized.
We have a woman, Alex Sink, running for governor. Think of her what you will, but we've come far enough that she's not that "lady" candidate. The rhetoric is over her resume and what she will or won't do if elected — not over her status as female.
That's a major shift that's come in the past few years.
It all started with the suffrage movement of some brave women in the mid-late 1800s.
Here's to you, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, Susan Anthony and those who came earlier or later. Here's to you, President Woodrow Wilson, for pushing the amendment. It came, after all, just after the war to secure democracy – World War I.
My typist, Patti, said, "And here's to you, Great-Aunt Carrie!"
Carrie was a suffragist and the first woman in her little town to wear trousers back then, when it was considered uppity.
Now, all you women, read up on the candidates and the issues, and go vote.

P.S. - Sorry for the hiatus in posting. My typist went out of town and left me home.

2 comments:

  1. Go women go!

    Women have progressed further in the last hundred years than in all time previous.

    I worked in Ghana from '53 to '77 and was next door neighbor to the first woman Ghana Supreme Court member, Annie Jiagge. This in a developing country some 20 years before a woman made our Supreme Court!

    There is more to be done to bring equal pay.

    I'm glad to join your blog.

    Dave Desmond, Step father of Buddy's person

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Dave! Glad to meet you! Chip in any time.

    ReplyDelete